It’s the unofficial summer of virtual internships — we’re celebrating the successes and sharing the struggles that come with it. Be on the lookout for a blog post about virtual internships every Friday!
As I mentioned in my introductory post, Indiana INTERNnet is the fifth place I’ve been an intern. But it’s the first place I’ve been a fully virtual intern, which makes it a unique experience for me. I know I’m in good company, though – many of you have just started your first virtual summer internship too. So, now seems like a good time to reflect on the first week or two of telecommuting and let you know you’re not the only one who’s had some of these thoughts recently:
1. I miss company Keurigs. Remember the drawers full of fun K-Cup flavors we didn’t have to pay for? Well, I certainly do.
2. So much for the business professional wardrobe I’ve been building. Am I the only one who’s disappointed we don’t get to pull out those funky blazers and fancy shoes again?
3. It’s like daylight savings time all over again. Anyone else feel like they just gained an hour of life they would have otherwise spent driving to and from the office every day?
4. I promise I’m working, not being antisocial. My housemates probably think I hate them because I spend eight hours a day in my room with the door closed.
5. But seriously, how soon can I get to a coffee shop? Because these four walls are not doing it for me.
6. Lunch just got a real promotion. You’re telling me I don’t have to pack everything into plastic bags and hope there’s room in the break room fridge when I get to the office?
7. I hope they know I’m not this awkward in person. Sorry, that was the poor Wi-Fi connection talking.
8. This is the cushiest intern office in history. I mean, when have you ever even had your own door at an internship – let alone a couch?
9. What’s the virtual equivalent of chatting between cubicles? Because sending an email to ask a coworker their favorite food feels a bit excessive.
10. If I’m a virtual intern, does that make me virtually the best intern this organization has ever had? Try that one out with your supervisor and let me know how it goes.
What would you add to this list? Let me know below!