Skip to content

Location:

Fort Wayne, IN   46802

About Fort Wayne Museum of Art

Mission
The Fort Wayne Museum of Art will collect,  present,  preserve,  and interpret American and related art to engage broad and diverse audiences throughout the community and region,  and add value to their lives.

Philosophy
The visual arts represent myriad aspects of our collective cultures,  historical experiences,  and of the human condition.   We believe that the visual arts open our eyes,  hearts,  and minds to the intersecting dimensions of the worlds we live in and,  in doing so,  add value and meaning to our lives.   This added value and meaning develops from:  the broadening of personal perspectives,  promoting increased empathy,  sparking moments of self-discovery,  fostering the development of new insights,  as well as nurturing our human spirit.   We further believe that our Museum has a responsibility to extend the experience of the visual arts to everyone in the community and to all the communities within our region.

History

The earliest roots of the Fort Wayne Museum of Art were informal art classes in drawing and painting,  which were first taught in 1888 by J.  Ottis Adams and later by William Forsyth.  Both artists became important regional influences,  whose skills in drawing and composition had been sharpened by tutelage at the Royal Academy in Munich.  By 1897 these art classes were formally organized under the official name,  The Fort Wayne Museum of Art School.  Over the next twenty years the Art School continued to thrive despite limited funds and several changes in location.

In 1921,  the function of museum was added to the school when a collection of ten paintings was donated by Theodore Thieme.  A prominent Fort Wayne citizen,  Thieme recognized the importance of art to the community,  and,  in addition to the paintings,  he donated his residence at 1026 West Berry Street.  In 1949,  the B.  Paul Mossman home at 1202 West Wayne Street was donated to the museum and,  for the first time,  an entire facility could be devoted completely to exhibitions and collections.

The museum split with the art school in 1977,  in which the school became a department of Indiana University Purdue University at Fort Wayne.  The museum is now housed in a 1984 facility designed by architect Walter Netsch of Skidmore,  Owings &  Merrill.  In 2007,  the Museum embarked on a $7.5 million Capital Campaign to expand and remodel its facility,  and in 2010,  FWMoA reopened its doors to more visitors than ever.  Accredited by the American Association of Museums,  the Fort Wayne Museum of Art is committed to exhibiting and collecting works of American artists.

 

Currently Available Internships

See all internships in Arts, Entertainment and Recreation »